<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, October 30, 2003

wine and gay relatives 

went to visit my cousin in l.a. last night with my family. he's been here an awfully long time but has been kinda distant from everyone else in the family. i think he didn't know how to come out to us. apparently, he's been living with his partner for 2 years now in this awesome house in l.a. with a great view of downtown. and we've never even met the guy until recently when my cousin's mom passed away.

oh my god, i had the best time ever! right when i entered, they placed a glass of this really good red wine in my hand (with the little wine charms as to not mix up your own glass with another guest's. mine was a little wine goblet). my cousin gave me a great big warm hug. first thing i thought, daayymm, boy looks good! he took me for a tour of the house and i sooo felt like i was in an episode of queer eye for the straight guy. i totally loved it!

quote of the evening: as my cousin was showing me around their house, with all the walls painted fabulous colors in every room, he pointed out the light fixtures and said, {you gotta imagine carson from QE 4the SG saying this with a very l.a. accent} "oh my god, we totally had to change all the light fixtures, cuz they were just ugly." and he did that hand thing, where you let your hand drop at the wrist, as he emphasized ugly.

the house was, of course, fabulously decorated by them, they were both great cooks, great looking guys with great bodies. there's a mini gym area with weights and a treadmill. oh my goodness, if straight guys knew how to take care of themselves like my cousin and his partner, oh my gosh, the girls would be a-flockin' all the time! they totally thought of all these details, like replaced the ugly linoleum in the bathroom with these tiles that were color coordinated with the walls that they painted! and they were so totally creative, carving out a pumpkin to use as a vase, arranging sunflowers and other fall-colored flowers in it to place on the dinner table. oh! and there were no plastic/paper goods used in this dinner. nooo, we used good and proper plates and silverware. oh my god, the silverware is even what is recommended, simple, but elegant. everything was coordinated, but not necessarily matching. everything was thought of, even down to the coffee with dessert as we sat on the dinner table for it. they even had real cream/milk in a pouring ceramic container, instead of like the powdery stuff or having the creamer in its little carton box on the table. it was a casual dinner, but very nice and elegant at the same time. great conversation, getting to know my kuya (older boy relative or friend) and his partner, great wine, great food. it was sooo nice!

i think best of all, i'm glad that my cousin's happy. happy and that he feels comfortable enough now to establish a relationship with us. we're his closest relatives here in the states and i thought it was kinda sad that all this time, he just stayed secluded, away from us. maybe he felt like he wouldn't be accepted by the family, which is reasonable, considering that the religion basically says that his lifestyle is against God's will. but i'm glad my family is very loving and accepting of him as well. i'm glad that he's happy and has found someone to love and share his life with. and i'm glad that he's now able to share his life with his family again.

Comments: Post a Comment
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
quotable quotes