<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

1st day in the philippines 

some old journals that i wrote when i was in the philippines...

10am, Tue, May 22
We got here this morning after a 17 hour long flight. We lost a whole day due to the time change and all. We sorted all our pasalubon after breakfast and it just got hotter and hotter and stickier and sticker. But as we were sorting and labeling the gifts for all of our relatives and close friends, my thoughts went to my old life here. i wrote for my Kuya Dodi, "Something Nice". Kasi, when he used to come over, he'd always bring me "something nice" like pop rocks or some other candy. In fact, I grew to expect it. I'd jump up to him and say, "Did you bring me something nice?" And then he'd reveal his treasure for me. Ahh, I had a good childhood.

When we arrived at the airport, one of the most poignant scenes I noticed were of all the relatives crowded outside the glass, awaiting their loved ones' arrival. As they saw them coming down the escalator, they'd wave with such joy and excitement. I actually got choked up as I remembered the opposite scene of when we were leaving the Philippines back in 1988. At that time, akala ko, we were only going to the States for vacation, pero naiyak din ako (but I was brought to tears too). Maybe I had a clue at that time that our departure was not as temporary as I thought. But all my aunts were crying and my yaya (nanny) didn't want to let go of my little brother. I cried cuz I loved her too.

I alwasy get nostalgic when I come home here. I think of my life then... my old school, my old friends, family whom I was close to while growing up. You see, the cousins my age all live here. They were my playmates growing up, but of course, the distance... we grew apart. Now, one just got married, and the other is in Dubai for work. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy and satisfied with my life now. But as we sort all the pasalubong (gifts brought home from a trip) and I think of old friends and family, I kinda wish I could've lived two lives, because i sure was happy here too.

Comments: Post a Comment
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
quotable quotes